Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Modern times indeed

So the magazine Rolling Stone has released their Top 50 Albums of 2006. There was a time when a top 50 albums list would either be stuff I already have, stuff I want or stuff I was never interested in getting in the first place.

This list kind of makes me feel old. I literally own one album on this list, Bruce Springsteen's We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions. But then again, I only own four albums that were even released in 2006, the others being The Who's Endless Wire, Katie Melua`s Piece By Piece and Neil Diamond's 12 Songs.

What kills me is that most of these groups I have never even heard of. Phoenix? Rhymefest? Wolfmother? There are even albums by artists I've heard of that I didn't even know were releasing an album. Fats Domino, Lindsay Buckingham and The New York Dolls all have albums on the list and I am so out of the loop, I wasn't even aware.

The #1 album on the list appears to be the unanimous #1 on a lot of people's lists. Bob Dylan's Modern Times. I have heard most of the tracks and it really rocks.

Top 5 Bob Dylan Albums
1. Bringing It All Back Home
2. Highway 61 Revisited
3. Blonde On Blonde
4. Blood On The Tracks
5. Another Side Of Bob Dylan

I may have to pick up that new Dylan CD, but right now I am in the middle of CD hell. Since J-Mac and I moved to this new house, we have never got our CDs in order. We have 1000s of CDs, from every genre from classical to jazz, rap to rock. I can't get them into any semblance of an order. I try putting all the rock in one area, jazz in another...but then what do I do with all that celtic stuff that J-Mac has? Seriously, what do you do with Clannad? As I write this, I just found J-Mac`s The Comedian Harmonists!!!! Where do I put that! (actually THAT one is easy...jazz). Anyway, getting these in order has been a project that has been ongoing for about a week. I may have to quit my job in order to get it completed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home