Tuesday, August 01, 2006

It was all Greek to me

So J-Mac and I went to the wedding of one of her work colleagues this past weekend. It was an intimate affair of about 170 people and, as expected, we had a great time.

Though, the event proved to not be without any drama. The church ceremony was Greek Orthodox and proved to be interesting, though I had no idea what they were talking about half the time and the words seemed a little out-of-date. Lots of stuff about the woman respecting the man etc etc. Though there were three officials involved in the ceremony and there was singing so there was some nice three part harmonies.

Top 5 Three Dog Night Songs
1. The Family Of Man
2. Mama Told Me (Not To Come)
3. Just An Old Fashioned Love Song
4. Never Been To Spain
5. Shambala

The true drama at the church happened about two pews behind us. Some woman behind us had apparently fallen asleep and could not be woken up. They were gently slapping her cheek, saying her name trying to revive her but she wasn't responsive. J-Mac and I immediately thought it was a stroke though she looked only to be around 30.

Someone called an ambulance and she two people helped her outside. By the way, while this is going on, the ceremony is not stopping which, unfortunately, took the focus away from the bride and groom. Anyway, they are struggling to get her down the aisle and out into the fresh air when a friend of ours offered to help. According to Migs, he jumped in and said "I am here to help". The person holding her literally just dropped her at his feet and she hit the ground with a thud. What made things worse was that the woman had clearly made the decision to be sans underwear and Mig's wife Sandy got an eyeful of an area I am pretty sure she was not wanting to see. She was able to tell us all that the woman clearly did not believe in brazilian waxing. She described that area more of a "landing strip". Not exactly what that means.

Anyway, in the end, the woman apparently drank a lot of alcohol the night before so dehydration along with the heat got to her. Not to worry she was back in time for the reception. Drinking away I am sure.

The reception included enough food for a small country. There were 6 courses including an antipasta, pasta, meat, seafood and don't forget the sweet table around 11:30 that night. One of my favourite things about weddings is, obviously, the free bar. Having worked as a bartender for events such as that, I know how appreciative tips are in those situations.

I walked in and went straight to the bar and ordered a rye and ginger. While he made it, I chatted with him and dropped a $5 bill into his jar. He advised me that along with the Canadian Club rye he just gave me, he also had some Crown Royal (the best rye on the planet). After that, for the rest of the night, if he saw me at the bar, he made my drink without me needing to ask. When J-Mac and I left for the night, I made one last stop at the bar and shook his hand while subtly offering him another $5 bill as thanks. I am not trying to make like I am some big spender. God knows I am not. But I just know these little things bartenders appreciate.

A little more drama as we left the reception complex as there was a sweet 16 party going on in one of the other rooms. There was clearly a lot of drinking going on with little to no adult supervision happening (where was that when I was sixteen!). All the sudden a fight erupted between two of the teenage girls. I don't mean fisticuffs. I mean on the ground, hair pulling, screeching kind of fight. Everyone erupted out of the now not-so-sweet 16 party to watch. Trust me when I tell you, it wasn't funny or entertaining, it was just sad.

On an unrelated note, Mel Gibson has now offered a second apology for his actions over the weekend. (Please note his apology did not include apologies for his films like Lethal Weapon 2 through 4, Bird On A Wire, What Women Want etc etc.) However, this one did seem a little more sincere than the first one, admitting that he said it and that he has no excuse. Though his "wanting to meet one on one with leaders of the Jewish community" rings a little hollow to me. All of this has already starting to effect his career as ABC announced Monday that they had scrapped plans for Gibson to produce a mini-series about the Holocaust. Apparently this had been in the works over the past 2 years. One wonders how Disney will market his upcoming film about the Mayan Indians entitled Apocalypto set for release later this year.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home